"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

December Outlaws Update



It has been a very busy month of basketball around here! We are in the meat of the Outlaws' season, and it has been quite the journey already. I often remind myself that we're only just getting started.

Jaden has had a tournament every weekend this month, and the whole family is turning into gym rats!





This is exactly what I dreamed of as a little girl. Growing up so close to college athletics myself, surrounded by older athletes and coaches and spending my weekends in the Dome and on trips with the basketball team, prepared me so much for the stage we're in right now. I envisioned one day having my own boys that I would get to champion through an experience like this, and though it's everything I hoped it would be, it's also so much harder than my younger self could have anticipated or understood.


Our time, our money, our resources are so engulfed right now in helping Jaden follow his passion. These tournament days start very early in the morning, and we've spent several Saturdays on the road at 6am while the rest of the world still sleeps. We're juggling Brandon's needs, as well, and that's not always easy, and sometimes admittedly my patience runs short. And then there's Jaden - he wants this so badly, and he's working so hard, and he completely loves it, but he's learning early that playing sports is not always fun either. I did ask him the other night what he was enjoying more so far - football - or basketball. I was 90% sure he would say football, but he surprised me and said he's liking basketball even more. That's saying a lot considering how successful he's been at football. But as a mom, when considering the health ramifications, I'm 100% happy that basketball might end up taking the front seat.













What I was not prepared for, as a young girl with dreams of motherhood, was how stressful it would be watching my son prepare to shoot the game winning free throw in overtime of a championship game. He made it. He came up big right in this moment. And if we're feeling the pressure in 3rd grade, I can't imagine what it's going to feel like in high school. Eventually this might be what gives me my first gray hair. ;)





The buzzer sounds in overtime, and the Outlaws celebrate clawing back from a big deficit to get the win!


In a daze right after Coach Ryan told him and the entire team that Jaden saved the game for them. :)








I can't say enough about our coaches. I have been so impressed while watching practices and seeing their knowledge of the sport as well as their patience with the kids. The coaches are in this for the long haul with this group right here, and that makes me pretty grateful for this opportunity.







The team has a little break over the holidays before getting after it again with a very busy January. I think this whole basketball thing is going to help our winter go a lot faster. Not a free weekend in sight!









Tonight we're gathering with all of the families for one fun Christmas party that the Outlaw leaders planned for us. We're going to swim, play some basketball, eat some pizza, and follow the UNI game in the midst of it all. It's the perfect way to kick off our Christmas break, and we can't wait!