"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Thanksgiving 2016 // The Kickoff


 
My Thanksgiving holiday actually started a day early while the boys were still in school. I've made it a holiday ritual to take one day to myself before the celebrations start - a day when the boys are still at school, Cody is still at work, and I can have a day away from emails and phone calls - to de-stress and put myself in the spirit of things. I've come to treasure these days so much. Working from home every day is such a blessing, but spending a day at home when I don't have to be chained to my Inbox or conference calls makes such a huge difference.
 
So on this Wednesday morning, adorned in my favorite gray leggings, my new fuzzy moccasins and my favorite pink sweater, I dropped the boys off at school and headed straight for Panera. I ordered a mocha and my favorite egg and spinach soufflé, grabbed a table by the fireplace, downloaded a new novel to my Ipad, and dug in for an hour of uninterrupted reading and quiet time. It was the perfect start to what would be a wonderful holiday break, and I can't wait to do it again before Christmas! ;)
 
I headed home a bit later to get started on the decorating. I turned on my Pandora Christmas list, got all of the boxes out of storage, packed away the pumpkins and hay bales, and started prepping our house for twinkly lights and evergreen.






I got everything put out just so - except for the tree - vacuumed and dusted and then sat in the living room with my computer in my lap and my Excel Christmas shopping list in front of me. I planned what was left of the shopping, having gotten a good chunk of the boys' gifts purchased already, headed to Target and Scheels for a few pre-black Friday deals and came home to wrap some early presents in front of Hallmark Christmas movies on TV before it was time to pick the boys up from school.
 
It was fun to bring them home from school and see the looks on their faces when they discovered that all of Christmas was on full display except for the tree. Their stuffed Santa's that had been missed since last December were waiting for them on their beds, and baby Jesus was waiting for them in the nativity. I'll never do Christmas without a nativity.
 
Full of energy and excitement, the boys and I then headed to the mall to pick out our favorite Christmas scents at Bath & Body Works - and stopped by HyVee for some pizzas for that night and fixings for the next day. Thanks to our purchases, we came home and made the house smell like a winter cottage. The basement and kitchen smelled like a good old fashioned fireplace was burning, and there were hints of Vanilla Bean Noel drifting through the bedrooms and hallway. We ate our pizza dinner in front of Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving before snuggling in bed to read Turkey Trouble and The Night Before Thanksgiving, adorned in our Santa hats I had uncovered during my morning decorating.
 








We fell asleep feeling more than ready for turkey eating and tree trimming...