Here is Jaden, the moment he picked up the last of his personal items from his elementary locker and desk. He left on the Thursday before spring break, not knowing that he would never walk the halls of elementary school again. It was a hard and abrupt way to end this chapter of his life, but I also reminded myself many times that at least he wasn't missing out on senior prom or a real graduation ceremony. It could have been worse - but that didn't make it any easier either. He was supposed to have a big sixth grade celebration party in May. I was on the planning committee for it. Like families all over the country, we were supposed to be able to bid goodbyes and fully live out and experience the milestones and the big moments. Instead, we spent most of March, April and May, struggling through a "voluntary" homeschool curriculum while also navigating all the big feelings and fears of living through a global pandemic. It was hard - it tested all of us. I was not meant to be their teacher - I was meant to be their mom. And we did our best, but I'm not sure we've ever celebrated the end of a school year more. I will never forget the moment that it became official to all of us that we weren't just on an extended spring break. When the governor officially shut down our school year for good, and I had to share that news with Jaden, I wasn't expecting a burst of tears and big emotions from my tough quarterback.
And though Brandon would have a fresh elementary school year to look ahead to, Jaden missed out on so many things that were on the agenda to help him wrap up his sixth grade year and transition him to junior high. But we made it. He did it. Seven years of elementary school - all successful and full of growth and pride. Jaden, you did great, bud. Our final memory from this chapter in your life was you being granted the AJ Green Sportsmanship award in March right before spring break's start - an award you received two years in a row for your grade. A good friend, a student and leader the teachers knew they could count on every single year. Congrats, buddy. Couldn't be prouder of you.

No comments:
Post a Comment