"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Kaitlyn's Bedroom



It's finally time to unveil what may be my favorite room in the house. I've mentioned before on this blog that I smile every time I enter one of our four bedrooms as each bedroom has been strategically and intentionally decorated to suit the person or people sleeping there. Our bedroom is bright and airy and clean - with its all-white bedding and green and pink accent tones. Jaden's bedroom is a cozy but bright basement space filled with meaningful sports memorabilia - and lots of privacy for our first-born. Brandon's over-sized room is tastefully filled with Star Wars decor and extra floor space for him to build all the things he wants to build. And finally... Kaitlyn's room. The smallest bedroom in the house but equipped with the prettiest view and the coziest corners. I love this room so much - not just because of how it came together but because it fulfills a lifetime of prayers answered. I absolutely loved being able to put together a room fit for a princess.

When we first moved into this house, this particular room was the only room with wood paneling over all its walls - but it did have brand new carpet! ;) Because we didn't have a basement bedroom yet, we moved Jaden into this space and got rid of the paneling, painted the walls, and hung just a few things on the walls to make him feel at home for those first several months. Secretly, Cody and I were hoping this would eventually be a nursery space and so we picked a light gray wall color that would work for a little boy or a little girl. Just one year later from putting up all new drywall, this bedroom has seen a massive makeover - from wood paneling to a boys' sports room... to a pink and white flowery room. It's amazing how much has changed in a year!

I had so much fun envisioning and then slowly putting together this nursery. The room is on the smaller size, as I mentioned, but bright and airy - with a big window facing the west and our neighbors' beautiful backyard that looks like a picture out of a fairy tale story book. Kaitlyn will grow up with pretty garden and sunset views... just as a little girl should. And because of its smaller size, I wanted to make sure not to overdo it. I didn't want to fill it too much at first, and let the space evolve slowly as she grows. I kept it simple and soft, and I absolutely love it.
 


I also wanted to make sure that whatever we hung above her crib was soft and light... and that the wall could easily transition from a wall above a crib - to a wall above a bed. I didn't initially intend for this room to take on a flowery theme, but noticed a growing trend on my Pinterest page when I kept pinning pictures of nurseries decked out in soft flower petals and rustic charm. ;)

This brought me to a seller on Etsy who puts together these beautiful flower letters in all sizes. She receives rave reviews and so that sealed the deal for me. Her flowery 'K' above her crib set the tone for the rest of the room, and I love how it turned out.


The crib and the dresser were the only two pieces we still had from when the boys were little. The crib sheet was the perfect Target find and gifted to us by Cody's co-workers... and the lamp and end table were also both from Target and Walmart! The end table is the perfect size and has a cute little lower shelf to hold some of her prettiest books from her growing collection.



I found just a few simple flowery pieces from Michael's and Hobby Lobby - this flower box holds all of her hair bows and the flower box on the table beside her crib houses all of her binkies. Pretty and functional decor items!



This frame was the perfect find and will be filled with a picture of our girl as soon as we get our professional photos back from Darcy. :)


Mom and Dad gifted us this bird house for Mother's Day and it sits perfectly upon her deep window ledge.







Cody built this window bench for her - a place to store toys and books - and a surface for her to play on when she's old enough.


This dresser was mine when I was a baby and the drawers are the perfect size for tiny baby clothes.













And this piece from Hobby Lobby hanging above her changing pad was the first bedroom item I purchased when we found out she was a girl. It's perfect for her and for how we feel about her... she was always meant to be ours - she was always meant to be.


I still want to find a sweet little rug to place in front of her crib, and once we get our family pictures back, we will probably add a frame or two, but for the most part - this room is complete. Until Christmas. Just you wait until you see it at Christmas time. Mama's got plans. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment