"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Because of a Pumpkin Spice Cappuccino...

I took the boys and myself to church this morning on my own. Cody still isn't doing real well so we left him home to sleep. After dropping the boys off in their Sunday school rooms, I went to the cappuccino counter and looked for my usual French Vanilla to drink during the service. There wasn't any French Vanilla sitting out on the counter... but there was a Pumpkin Spice. I'd never tried that kind of cappuccino before, but the name made me happy so I grabbed it and went into the service to sit down.

I took a sip of my new drink... and was in heaven.

I'm ready for the dog days of summer to pass us by. I know it's not right to wish time away, but we've had a rough go of it lately, and our family needs a change. A change in the form of a new season... to say goodbye to muggy, sticky, sweaty weather. To welcome in crisp temperatures, pumpkin scents, football tailgates and leaves falling off the trees. I want to walk my kids around the block after supper, and point out to them all the new colors that the new seasons can bring. I want to make a leaf pile in our yard and take pictures of them jumping in it. I want to remind them that this is the good stuff life's made of... that the simple pleasures surrounding us are the ways that God shows us daily how much he loves us. I want to come home from work - take off my dress pants - and put on a sweatshirt. I want to go to Hobby Lobby, pick out some fall flowers, and plant them in spots throughout my house. I want to surround our deck with pumpkins big and small - make a vase out of a hallowed out pumpkin - and throw "Autumn Sunset" back into my Scentsy pot. I want to browse the Internet for the best pumpkin desserts, light pumpkin scented candles, wear purple on Fridays and hear questions of, "What time is kick off?" I want to feel the excitement of each upcoming Saturday's game and walk around 23rd Street and College St. on Homecoming weekend. I want to carve another UNI football pumpkin for the third year in a row. Could it be we've started our own tradition?

I want my hair to stop looking frizzy from humidity.

I want to open Jaden's new preschool back pack every Tuesday and Thursday and see what worksheets or letters from "school" he's brought home. I can't believe the phrase "school year" actually has meaning for our family now. I want to take the boys back to the Pumpkin Patch. Jaden's been asking to go. I want to watch Brandon experience "fall" for the first time... he was too little to enjoy it last year.

Fall has always been and will always be my favorite time of year. I could use a dose of one of my "favorite things" right about now.

I know it's only July 24... but I had a Pumpkin Spice cappuccino this morning... and it was really really good.